Monday, April 06, 2009

Look, it's a lift okay?

I've signed up to a kind of self-help for bloggers course, and the first task I've been set is to come up with an Elevator Pitch (so-called because it should be concise yet persuasive enough for you to convince a buyer in the time it takes to share a lift with him) for my blog. So, here goes:

The Happy Commuter takes a sideways glance at the daily commute on an average suburban mainline railway, celebrating its customs, its unwritten rules and rituals, and most of all the cast of characters with whom I share my journey. My aim is to provide commuters themselves with a brief respite from their unremitting gloom by gently reminding them of the absurdity of fighting over an uncomfortable seat on a crowded train.

Hmm. Needs a bit of work. I'll come back to this. It's late. You see, in a twist both ironic and strangely fitting, I was delayed on my journey home tonight. There was a fatality at Finsbury Park, and everything was backed up coming out of Kings Cross.

9 Comments:

At 10:10 AM GMT+1 , Blogger Rish said...

Elevator Pitch? For a blog? Blimey JD, you are taking this all very seriously aren't you?

If you ever get to the stage of trying to make money from your blog, don't bother asking me - my brother and I have made the sum total of £4 in about eight months!

 
At 10:26 AM GMT+1 , Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

Far too many fatalities on this train commuting lark. Liked the last bit of you EP, very good!

 
At 1:29 PM GMT+1 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks guys.

Rish it's not so much taking it seriously as just wanting to get a bit more organised. I've averaged 2 posts per month in the last year or so, which isn't exactly proflific. So I've signed up to this thing to try to give myself a bit of a kick up the rear carriage.

Thanks for your feedback DJ. I thought that was a bit weak, so glad to hear you don't agree. Has the book launch happened yet? Are you going to the book fair at the end of the month?

 
At 7:25 AM GMT+1 , Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

The book launch was in January! My next book is due out in August though. Yes I will be at the LBF on the 22nd, are you going?

 
At 8:26 PM GMT+1 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hoping to. I'll let you know. It's a question of whether I can get the day off work.

 
At 8:53 AM GMT+1 , Blogger Rish said...

Well, football aside (and what with holidays, house moves, job changes and domestic stuff), I am rubbish at blogging. I have missed so many match reports and the ReVued blog is going really quite badly as neither myself nor my writing partner have reviewed anything for months.

This blogging lark ain't easy, I tell you!

Mind you, I do think you achieve quality, if not necessarily quantity (as I hope I do), and in the case of a blog such as this, methinks a couple of posts per month is perfectly respectable.

 
At 12:53 PM GMT+1 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Rish. That means a lot. I have to sat that as an armchair fan I find the 1835 blog really good, and most matches seem to be covered on there within days, if not hours.

Keep up the good work.

 
At 12:54 PM GMT+1 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Rish. That means a lot. I have to sat that as an armchair fan I find the 1835 blog really good, and most matches seem to be covered on there within days, if not hours.

Keep up the good work.

 
At 12:54 PM GMT+1 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Rish. That means a lot. I have to sat that as an armchair fan I find the 1835 blog really good, and most matches seem to be covered on there within days, if not hours.

Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home